Leipzig offers many tourist attractions (leipzig travel). These include
- the St. Thomas church, where Bach was Cantor (St. Thomas Church),
- the Nikolaikirche, where the peaceful revolution started (St. Nicholas church),
- an acclaimed concert hall, the Gwandhaus with its famous orchestra (Gewandhaus),
- the old city hall, one of the most beautiful Renaissance buildings in Germany (old city hall),
- the cellar of Goethe's Faust (Auerbachs Keller),
- a large system of arcades,
- a museum about East-West relations and the fall of the wall (Zeitgeschichtliches forum – website in German only),
- a museum in the Stasi (the Eastern German equivalent of the KGB or the CIA) headquarters (Runde Ecke),
- the Porsche plant (Porsche-Leipzig),
- our very own version of “New Lakeland”, which was created when the old open cast mines were turned into lakes (New Lakeland Leipzig)
- and the largest city forest in Germany (LINK).
Many of these attractions can be found on this Google map.
Leipzig is easily the “coolest” city in Germany at the moment – the media has dubbed it the “new Berlin”.
The city boasts a huge range of classical, modern and alternative culture.
Music, theatre and arts listings can be checked on Kreuzer: kreuzer leipzig
The Wave Gothic festival will take place immediately after the conference: WGT
The Opera/Gwandhaus is hosting s series of Wagner concerts around the time of the conference
For those who remain until Saturday we have organized three guided city tours that can be booked with the registration.